Milani Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning has been providing expert heating services in Greater Vancouver and the Lower Mainland area since 1956. Homeowners call on Milani every day to meet their needs for emergency heating repairs, heating system maintenance, and heating and cooling system installations. We’ve seen different types of problems in homes and have listed here the most common issues homeowners have with their heating systems:
- No maintenance. Homeowners don’t usually pay that much attention to their HVAC systems. This lack of maintenance can cause different problems such as expensive repairs/replacements, high energy bills, dirty air ducts and more. It is advised that you have your HVAC system serviced at least 2-3 times a year. Contact us to schedule a heating system service!
- Dirty filters. A clogged or dirty air filter can restrict airflow, making the appliance work harder to circulate air that’s damaging to the indoor air quality. Dirty filters can also blow the limit switch, which controls the fan. It’s easy to fix this problem, and subsequently extend the appliance’s life and efficiency, by changing the air filter monthly.
Tip: If you live in a home with excess hair, pet dander, smoke, aerosols, and other allergens and pathogens, replace the air filter more often to get the cleanest, most breathable indoor air.
- Lack of circulation and airflow. Your home’s airflow can be compromised by failing and ageing of the system’s fan motors, belts, bearings, and ducts. If these components are not maintained or repaired regularly, the heating system can overheat.
- Overrun heat pump. Heat pumps are best designed for climates that are consistently less than 35 degrees Fahrenheit. If your home’s climate differs from this, the overtime could be because of undersized equipment and/or ductwork, low refrigerant, and/or bad reversing or compressor valves. Call a professional to take a look at what you can do to improve your heat pump’s efficiency.
- A faulty thermostat. Whether you have a smart or traditional thermostat, it can still glitch once in a while. This can include low or no battery, misused settings, misread temperatures, and an incapability to match with your home’s HVAC. All of these malfunctions can cause poor comfort levels and other heating problems.
Tip: Consider what a programmable thermostat can do for your home with our post, check out these Benefits of Zone Controlled Thermostat.
- A mouldy furnace. Moisture buildup is the result of poor insulation or inadequate ductwork, creating the ideal environment for mould growth. If you smell something off, hire a professional to take a look and clean your HVAC system if necessary.
- No fuel. Whether you have a gas, electric, or oil furnace, the system needs fuel to properly run. If it’s low on fuel or if fuel is unable to effectively power the appliance, the heater will not perform optimally. This can cause cold air, odours, fumes, and more heating problems.
- High energy bills. While the energy bill is naturally higher in cold months, a sudden spike could be the result of minor problems, like a tripped breaker in the outdoor unit or dirty air filter. It could also be due to moderate issues, like an iced-over outdoor unit or refrigerant leak, or severe complications, such as a damaged compressor. If you need assistance, contact a professional to look into your energy bill rise.
Tip: To decrease your energy bill without sacrificing comfort, check out these Tips on Cutting Your Heating Costs.